Sunday, August 2, 2009

Foggy Day

I woke up today and thought of Carl Sandburg's poem when I looked out the window.

FOG

The fog comes
on little cat feet.

It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.

The main difficulty just now is that the fog is not moving on. There is no breeze and the humidity seems to be rising, so that it is getting denser (is that a word?).

The weather here with all the humidity is lovely for the softness of my hair, but it has awakened all the unruly curls I enjoyed forgetting that I had. I either have to find a way to make the curls less frizzy, or some really good hairspray. At any rate, just now, a hair dryer is kind of a pointless tool since I mainly used it to straighten the curls.

We rode the taxi into the city yesterday to go to church. $25 U.S. each way!* That certainly can't continue. Next week someone will show us how to take the bus. It was a nice meeting. People were very friendly and it was nice to be able to understand what people were saying and have them understand us. Apparently the attendance is down right now but will pick up when school starts and people come back from vacation. Our girls will double the size of the Young Women's group. I'm just glad to hear that there are some other youth for them to make friends with. Most of them also live here in Clifford. In the Young Men's group, three of the boys' names start with "J" and only one person's doesn't. It's pretty funny.

I can hardly wait to get into a home and be able to start taking Mandarin lessons. I feel like such a dullard not being able to speak the language here.

The school admissions test is out of the way and we just await word of whether or not they are accepted. They seem to be highly motivated to accept Western-looking, native English-speaking students, since it is highly ironic for the "American" international school to have predominantly Korean passport holders and Asian-looking students. I know if they go there, my kids will be pushed academically, which I think will be very good for them. In the U.S., a good education is taken for granted and many have the attitude that it should be made easy and handed to them. Here, people work very hard for the opportunity of good schooling and take it seriously because they know that they will need the knowledge in order to have a successful future. All you have to do is walk outside a few blocks and you have ready testimony to what life is like without education. Still, this school is American in style rather than the Chinese "eat-sleep-and-breathe-your-studies" type of school. Many families want this school, just because they know it allows them the best chance to have an education plus some family time.

I'm so grateful for the chance to get on here and post. Sometimes you don't even realize all the freedoms you have, until someone comes along and limits them or takes them away.

*Correction: The taxi to church was $25 U.S. round trip not each way. I misunderstood Brad when he told me.

2 comments:

  1. What an educational adventure. And, when my husband asked me where I wanted to go to dinner, I guess your post was in the back of my mind because I suggested the Korean restaurant in Provo and ended up having Bibimbop! Now I'm reading back at what you said and realize it must have been sitting there in my subconscious. I've eaten it only once before and liked it but had completely forgotten about it.

    Good luck with the school deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather - so fun to hear from you. Keep the details coming please! I'm interested to hear how the bus ride to Church goes next week. I don't know why I'm a Follower and a Member - maybe because I've got a blogger account...? Take care.

    ReplyDelete